Good things are growing here in Citrus Heights!
||Located at the corner of Sylvan Rd. and Stock Ranch Rd., the Sylvan Ranch Community Garden is supported by volunteers passionate about making a difference in the community. If you would like to take part in beautifying the Citrus Heights community and the Sylvan Ranch Community Garden, please contact the Board of Directors for more information.|
Visit the Sylvan Ranch Community Garden Web site to find more information on registration, sponsorship, and volunteering.
What is a Community Garden?
It can be urban, suburban, or rural. It can grow flowers, vegetables or community. It can be one community plot, or can be many individual plots. It can be at a school, hospital, or in a neighborhood. It can also be a series of plots dedicated to "urban agriculture" where the produce is grown for a market.
Benefits of a Community Garden:
- Improves the quality of life for people in the garden
- Provides a catalyst for neighborhood and community development
- Stimulates Social Interaction
- Encourages Self-Reliance
- Beautifies Neighborhoods
- Produces Nutritious Food
- Reduces Family Food Budgets
|- Conserves Resources |
- Creates opportunity for recreation, exercise, therapy, and education
- Reduces Crime
- Preserves Green Space
- Creates income opportunities and economic development
- Reduces city heat from streets and parking lots
- Provides opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections
(Information from American Community Garden Association)
Photos courtesy of Elizabeth and Laura Taylor
Some documents are in .ZIP or .PDF format. You will need to have WinZip and Adobe Acrobat Reader programs installed on your computer to extract and view these files. If you do not already have them, you can click the following icons to download both applications for free.