Massage Establishments & Therapists
The City of Citrus Heights adopted Ordinance 2016-10 (PDF) amending the Municipal Code relating to massage establishments and therapists.
All therapists and persons responsible for operating the massage establishments must be a California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC) certificate holder, unless exempt pursuant to the Citrus Heights Municipal Code Section 22-606.
The applicant for a massage establishment license shall be the responsible person who shall hold a valid and unexpired CAMTC certificate. The responsible person shall file both General Business License Application (PDF) and Massage Establishment License Application (PDF), and provide the following documents:
- The Massage Therapist Register (PDF);
- The CAMTC certificate and the CAMTC identification card;
- A copy of valid and current driver's license and or identification issued by a state or agency showing the individual is at least 18 years of age;
- Proof of designation as the responsible person.
- A statement as to whether the business intends to provide massage services off-site;
- Information demonstrating that the proposed business is consistent with the applicable land use designation and city zoning code;
- A floor plan showing the layout of the massage establishment; and
- An acknowledgement signed by the responsible person and each owner of the massage establishment that all information in the application is true and correct.
An owner who is a CAMTC certificate holder must submit a copy of the CAMTC certificate and the A identification card. If an owner is not CAMTC-certified he shall file an application for background check including:
- The individual's legal name, height, weight, color of eyes, and hair;
- A copy of valid and current driver's license and/or identification issued by a state or agency showing the individual is at least 18 years of age;
- The individual's business, occupation or employment history for the five years immediately preceding the date of application;
- The name and address of any massage establishment or similar business owned or operated by the person whether inside or outside the city or state;
- The massage or similar business license history of the individual operating in the city or another city, county or state, including whether such person has had such license or permit revoked or suspended and the reason and dates for such revocation or suspension;
- All convictions, except minor traffic violations; and
- Two identical passport photos.
Massage operations are restricted to operating only between the hours of 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. The establishment must be in compliance with facility and sanitation standards as prescribed by city ordinance. It is the owner's/responsible person's responsibility to comply with all city building requirements and ordinances.