Plans Submittals & Reviews
Basic Plan Submittal Requirements
The first step in the process of obtaining a building permit is plan submittal. Important Note: Incomplete submittals will not be accepted.
- Plans must be prepared to minimum 1/4 inch = 1 foot minimum scale
- Plans must be drawn on 18" x 24" minimum size paper
- Residential new construction must submit 2 sets of complete plans
- Residential remodels or additions must submit 2 sets of complete plans
- Commercial new construction must submit 2 sets of complete plans
- Commercial remodels or additions must submit 2 sets of complete plans
The City of Citrus Heights participates in the PASS Program - Prequalified Architectural Submittal System. PASS is a training and document approval program, run by industry professionals, that instructs participating organizations on how to implement a defined system of document standards that make for relatively uniform building plan documents. Documents that utilize PASS standards are much easier to review and in turn, provide a rapid approval process. View more information on the PASS program.
PASS certified design and construction professionals may submit their building plans to the City of Citrus Heights now.
Projects Not Requiring Professionally-Drawn Plans
In most cases, anyone may prepare the plans. Below is a list of common projects that do not require professional drawn plans:
- Single-family dwelling construction or alterations providing the structure is wood frame and not over 2 stories and a basement in height
- Multi-family dwelling construction or alterations providing the structure is wood frame and not over 2 stories and a basement in height and there are no more than 4 units on 1 lot
- Construction of garages, agricultural, and ranch buildings providing the structure is wood frame and not over 2 stories and a basement in height
- Interior nonstructural alterations that do not affect the structural system or the safety of the building
Questions & Additional Information
Additional Agency Approvals
Other agencies such as the Fire Department, Health Department, and servicing utility companies may need to review and approve your project prior to the issuance of a building permit.
The Building and Safety Division can be reached at 916-727-4760 and can assist you with questions about the agencies you need to contact. To view a list of agencies you may need to contact visit the Agency Coordination List (PDF).
Plan Preparation Assistance
To assist you in the preparation of your plans, please refer to the sample plans available on the Handouts page.
Site Plan Preparation
Most projects require the submittal of a site plan. Having an accurate and complete site plan is an important part of the review process. For information, refer to the webpage How to Prepare a Site Plan.
Plan Check Process
Plan check is the process in which plans are reviewed to ensure they meet all construction and other code requirements. View the schedule on the Building and Safety Division homepage for drop-off times.
A majority of projects also require approval by the Planning Division and Engineering Division prior to building plan check submittal. At the time you submit your plans, the Building and Safety Division will coordinate your plan review with the other divisions. Once your plans are approved by the these divisions, the 10-working day plan check process begins.
You will be contacted when your plans are approved. If there are corrections to your plans, a correction letter will be issued. The letter will list required corrections to help you in the re-submittal process and to receive your approved plans.
Approved Project Alterations
All projects must be built from an approved set of plans. If you need to make changes to your project once you have obtained an approved set of plans, you must submit revised plans and pay additional plan check fees.
Joseph CuffeChief Building Official
6360 Fountain Square Drive
Citrus Heights, CA 95621
6360 Fountain Square Drive Citrus Heights CA 95621
Phone: 916-727-4760Fax: 916-725-5799
Inspection Request Phone Line
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday