New Sylvan Project
The 120 listing day period for potential developer offerings has closed. City Council is scheduled to review and consider approval of a purchase agreement with a buyer on January 14.
If you have any questions or would like additional information regarding the New Sylvan Project, please email Meghan Huber.
The City of Citrus Heights is pleased to present the opportunity to purchase for development, an 11.3-acre transit-oriented site located at the busy intersection of Sylvan Road and Auburn Boulevard, locally known as “Sylvan Corners.”
The New Sylvan parcel is poised to be a hub for our community, located at the geographical center of Citrus Heights, with proximity to schools, homes, existing retail and the Auburn Blvd corridor. Now that the 120-day listing period for potential developer offers has closed, City Council is now scheduled to review and consider a purchase agreement at the January 14 Council Meeting.
Please note that the meeting will only be to consider a purchase agreement, not any specific development project. While the submitted offer does include potential development concepts, project specifics will be reviewed once a development application is received (following an approved purchase agreement).
Please click the buttons below to find more information.
A key factor in helping guide the development of the New Sylvan property is having a framework in place which helps guide decisions.
To help keep the City’s long-term vision in focus, a series of goal statements have been developed to support the City’s strategic, long-term goals. These planning goals will provide the public and development community with the visioning framework outlined by the City when considering development opportunities. When envisioning New Sylvan, the Planning Goals outline concept goals, design goals, land use goals, and financial goals to evaluate future proposals.
By creating these Planning Goals, future developers are provided the City’s clear, yet flexible vision for the site. This unique opportunity for development remains pivotal for New Sylvan.
The Sylvan 40 property is a place of cultural and social significance for Citrus Heights. The development of the property shall meet the following concept goals.
- Represent the City’s continued commitment to reinvest in Sylvan Corners and Auburn Boulevard.
- Support uses compatible with surrounding land uses without detracting from the nearby Stock Ranch retail center.
- Enhance Sylvan Corners as the geographical center of the City and reestablish the area as a cultural and social hub.
The Sylvan 40 property is a gateway to the Boulevard and its future development will serve as a catalyst for continued revitalization of the area. Development of the property shall meet the following design goals.
- Activate the area by fronting all building, including residential units, outward toward Sylvan Plaza and Auburn Boulevard frontage.
- Include enhanced pedestrian connections to connect the property to nearby businesses, Sylvan Plaza, and the adjoining school.
- Provide well-designed parking and service areas to screen these areas from Auburn Boulevard and Sylvan Plaza.
- Incorporate Sylvan Plaza into the project design.
Land Use Goals
The Sylvan 40 property is essential to the continued improvement of the Boulevard. The property may be developed with a variety of land uses which complement the area and the surroundings. Proposed use(s) shall consider the following overall land use goals.
- Consider the property’s adjacency to the school and the cemetery.
- Encourage commercial uses such as cafes with outdoor dining, offices which incorporate outdoor areas and other similar uses that will connect to the public spaces. Prohibit automotive intensive uses such as gas stations and drive-thru’s.
- Housing types may consist of for-sale and rental units, be a mixed-use concept, or designed for specific needs such as work-force housing, teacher housing or similar product type.
The City purchased the Sylvan 40 property to play an active role in its future development. The City has long recognized Sylvan Corners as a pivotal piece to attracting private investment in the area. The following is the City’s key financial goal when considering development of the property.
- The development shall be financially feasible and provide long-term fiscal benefits to the City.
||City finalizes purchase of former Sylvan Middle School property
||City released draft planning goals for community input
|March 12, 2020
||City finalizes planning goals and next steps at City Council meeting
|April - June 2020
||City and RSG (Consultant) create draft Offering Memorandum
|July 8, 2020
||Offering Memorandum released to public with 120 day listing period
||End of 120 day listing period for developer offerings
||Review period for development offerings
||City Council review developer offerings
||Woodside Homes begins City project development process